11.20.2009

Gluten-Free, Dairy-Free Gingersnaps







One reason I look forward to the holidays is because it justifies my primal urge to bake. Since my move into gluten-free, I bake twice as much - the original version of my recipes for my gluten and dairy eaters, and the gluten-free and dairy-free versions for Annie and me and our GF/CF friends. I really enjoy playing the kitchen scientist, tweaking my ingredients to make the taste and texture of the GF/CF version match that of the original. It's kind of a game. I win when no one can figure out which one is "real" and which one is "fake." (not my labels. Theirs.)


When I first started baking without gluten, I did what most do. I tried recipes in gluten-free cookbooks. I learned quickly that just because a recipe is in a cookbook doesn't necessarily mean it's good. (Although I did find some fantastic recipes in some of the cookbooks!)  I never did find a recipe for gingersnaps with the taste and texture that I was after, so I just did what I should have done from the very beginning. I went to my old tried and true recipe, using GF/CF substitutions. This re-do is every bit as good as the original. Maybe better. I hope it becomes one of your favorites too.


Gluten-free Gingersnaps
from: giddyupglutenfree, dorothy allard 2009 

1 1/2 cups millet flour
1 1/2 cups sorghum flour
1 cup tapioca starch
2 tsp baking soda
2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp cream of tarter
2 tsp xanthan gum
3 tsp ground ginger
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1/2 tsp cloves


3/4 cup shortening
2 cups sugar
2 slightly beaten eggs
1/2 cup molasses
2 tsp apple cider vinegar


Pre-heat oven to 325ยบ.
Combine the dry ingredients in a medium mixing bowl, whisk until combined.
In a large mixing bowl, cream the shortening and sugar until creamy, stir in the eggs, molasses, and vinegar. Stir until well combined. Add the dry ingredients, stirring to combine. Roll in one-inch balls, then roll the balls in sugar. Bake on a parchment paper-lined baking sheet for about 12 minutes. Let the cookies cool on the cookie sheet for a couple of minutes, then transfer to a wire rack to cool. The recipe makes about 36 cookies. If the cookies are not gone in a couple of days, they need to be frozen. (I usually freeze half as soon as they are cooled). Just stack them in a freezer bag, and get out as much air as you can, and freeze. When you are ready for a treat, thaw on the counter for about 15 minutes.


Ingredients note: Use organic ingredients when you can, and evaporated cane juice instead of refined sugar. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I appreciate your feedback!

 
Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-No Derivative Works 3.0 Unported License.