9.09.2010

Apricot Blueberry Blondies, GF


Here in the Northwest it suddenly seems like fall. Leaves are getting rosy cheeked, the squeaky brakes of the school bus have returned to my soundscape twice a day, and my thoughts have turned to baking.

Even though my kids are all in college now I still think in terms of lunchbox and after-school treats when September rolls around. Images of cookies, brownies, and cakes interrupt my work. I wonder if there is a name for this lack of focus and constant interruption by random baking ideas. Baking Obsession Disorder? BOD? I have BOD. Do you?

Today I was thinking about dried apricots and how underused they are (at least for me). But I love them. So I found an old blondie recipe and added dried apricots, dried blueberries and pecans. The result is a moist fruit and nut studded bar, perfect for school lunches or after school treats. Or with tea. That's what will happen to these.


Apricot Blueberry Blondies, GF/CF
A moist and lovely little snack

1/2 cup shortening (I use Spectrum Organic)
1 cup firmly packed brown sugar
2 large eggs
1 1/2 tsp GF vanilla extract
1/2 cup sorghum flour
1/2 cup millet flour
1/2 cup potato starch
2 1/2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp xanthan gum
1/2 tsp salt
1 cup dried apricots, coarsely chopped
1 cup pecans, coarsely chopped
1/2 cup unsweetened dried blueberries

1. Cream shortening and brown sugar, then add eggs and mix well. Stir in vanilla.

2. Combine sorghum flour, millet flour, potato starch, baking powder, xanthan gum and salt, whisk until well combined; add to creamed mixture, mixing well. 

3. Fold in apricots, blueberries, and pecans. Press into greased 8x8 inch baking pan. Bake at 350ยบ for 18 to 20 minutes. Cool; cut into bars.

1 comment:

  1. This is the best baked good, I have seen in days. This looks fabulous and I happen to know I love the blueberry and dried apricot combination.

    Off to print this. I need baked goods for the next two weeks and this is new to what I have already made.

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your feedback!

 
Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-No Derivative Works 3.0 Unported License.